In addition to the outstanding birding opportunities at Reiersvlei and nearby beach walks there are many other activities within easy reach.
There are information web sites:
- Overberg (the broader region) – http://www.overberg.co.za
- Stanford – http://www.stanfordinfo.co.za
- De Kelders – http://www.sa-venues.com/attractionswc/de-kelders.php
- Gansbaai – http://gansbaaiinfo.com and http://www.gansbaai-info.co.za/town
- Hermanus – http://www.hermanustourism.info and http://hermanus.co.za
- Hiking – apart from extensive walks on Reiersvlei, there are walking trails in the surrounding Cape fynbos floral kingdom (eg. the Hermanus cliff path and Fernkloof, Vogelgat and Kogelberg and Harold Porter reserves near Kleinmond)
- Beach walking and swimming – 15 minutes drive from Reiersvlei (4X4 needed)
- Bird watching – the Stanford area is widely recognised as a birding paradise. Some interesting web sites are:
- Whale watching – Walker Bay is world-renowned for viewing Southern Right Whales – the season is generally from June to January.
- Great White Shark cage-diving from Gansbaai (only 25kms from Reiersvlei). There are a number of companies offering this experience.
- Golf – Hermanus (a 27 hole championship course) http://www.hgc.co.za ; Arabella (an 18 hole championship course) http://arabellacountryestate.co.za/arabella-golf-course ; Kleinbaai near Gansbaai (a more rustic 18 hole course) http://gansbaaiinfo.com/gansbaai-golf-club-kleinbaai-country-club
- Fishing – beach, rock, deep sea or freshwater
- Hang-gliding and Paragliding – off the Klein River mountain range (noted for exceptional up-draughts). There are a few companies offering this experience. Google Paragliding Hermanus.
- Sailing – Hermanus Yacht Club
- Canoeing, paddling and water-skiing
- Horse riding
- Tennis, squash, bowls
Shops, Restaurants and Coffee Shops
- The village of Stanford has become well-known in recent years, in particular for its quaint, laid-back, friendly country atmosphere
- There are several excellent restaurants, coffee shops, art galleries and antique shops.
- Hermanus also has a wide variety of excellent shops and restaurants
Wine and Cheese
- There are a number of Overberg wine farms close by, the nearest being only 1km from Reiersvlei – http://www.springfontein.co.za
- Overberg wine route – http://www.overbergwine.com
- There is an well-known cheese farm only a few kilometres from the Stanford village – http://kleinrivercheese.co.za
- The vineyards of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek are 1½ hours drive away
- Springfontein Wine Estate – http://www.springfontein.co.za
- Mosaic Private Sanctuary – http://www.mosaicsouthafrica.com
Fynbos and Nature Conservation
- Walker Bay Nature Reserve – http://www.capenature.co.za/reserves/walker-bay-nature-reserve
- Walker Bay Fynbos Conservancy – http://www.fynbos.co.za
- Working For Water – http://www.dwaf.gov.za/wfw
- Fire Protection and Management – http://www.fpasa.co.za
The Most Southern Point of Africa
- L’Agulhas – http://www.lagulhas.co.za